.. So, in this post, i will try to figure out how PC^2 can get better .. by giving it some lousy competition 😀
.. Just add one to the power..
PC^3 is an open source, web-based Programming Contest Control System. [now you get why i was so biased in my previous post (6) 😀 ]
You can take a look at the Prototype here ..
The Bad stuff about PC^3:
- Still in alpha .. so if PC^2 started in 1988, may be we will use PC^3 to run the ACM-ICPC, in the year 2525.
- Web App.. relies on HTTP, still no matter what, Desktop apps and two-way communication have their charm.
- currently supports ASP.net only (not cross-platform), but you are welcome to port it to Mono.
- Not Feature rich yet. (i think that’s why its open source 😀 .. we need your help 😀 .. etbara3 walaw be logo)
- .. you get to add ..
The Not-So-Bad stuff about PC^3:
- ZERO install is required on the contestants’ machines, just a browser.
- You can always fire up a backup machine to host the server .. copy the configuration folder .. give the contestants the new URL .. every one is happy.
- HTTP can get through your annoying university’s firewall.
- NOW .. you can actually have the scoreboard integrated with the client it self.. and not have to give every one the link in the clarifications.
- Its open-source .. so if you were a judge in some contest and no one submits .. and you got bored .. you can always fire VS and add some features and get to test it in a real contest .. you can, right ?.. no ?!
- Imagine all the features we can add .. I am posting a list to the blog soon isA.
so .. suggestions, contributions ?
Those of you who ever have been to an acm contest, certainly do know great PC^2 (pronounced P-C-Squared).
PC^2 is simply the most reliable out there, not because its awesome, but because people everywhere rely on it to run their contests, especially that its the only one out there.
I am quite sad that I am writing this post, not only because no body is gonna read it, but also because PC^2 is related to some of the best memories on my days in the university, and now i have to criticize it a little bit. But i hope its for the best.
Since, to me, PC^2 does not seem to be jumping to the next curve, not to mention that it started out in 1988 and it is at its version 9 today!
Awesome things about PC^2:
- Tested heavily, man, every contest ever runs in the world runs on it.
- Cross-Platform, written in JAVA
Not-So-Awesome things about PC^2:
- Its in JAVA, the most speeding, Lightweight platform in the world.. oh wait! .. its not. (note: do take this point personally .. i hate java .. but who cares)
- Requires an always-on connection, That is just a dream in my university’s labs.
- Requires a separate installation on every single client and server, you need to install Java, MinGW, define environment variables, copy PC^2, Run it, Test it.
- Closed-Source, seems like Berkeley is more open than Sacramento.. guys .. open it up a bit .. California is dreaming of such a Wednesday.
here is an article about how to make a simple virus for win32:
and also in MS Word Format:
the article is in Arabic ..
The online contest is just to begin
the scoreboard is here, give us a tight race guys
i will provide some coverage during the contest isA
so READY.. STEADY.. GO!
How to write “X” so that:
int a= 0;
cout<<"a = "<<a;
//console says a = 5 Positive five!
cout<<"a = "<<a;
//console says a = -5 Negative five!
waiting for the answers in the comments (comments are moderated) .. i will show them after a couple of right answers..
if your answer is wrong “which is fine”, i will pass the comment..
if it is right .. i will reply on the comment or maybe to your mail telling you to stop trying..
now to the Winners (in order of who replied first):
i have tried to follow the O’Reilly’s Open Source Convention (OSCON) for a bit .. but since i am not very familiar with most of the names .. i lost my interest later..
until i seen a video by GreggPollack titled Oscon in 37 minutes where every speaker summarizes his talk in 30 seconds..
i will try to cover the most interesting talks -for me- later .. but for now .. i will start with most i liked
it was by Robert ‘r0ml‘ Lefkowitz about Exceptional Software..Explained you can watch the 30 seconds from the previously mentioned video here
i will quote what he said
one of the things we are trying to do is encourage large enterprises to adopt the open source practices..
difficulty that .. although we have open source practices .. we don’t have open source methodology..
large companies are used to methodologies like Rational Unified Process or the Microsoft Solutions Framework or SCRUM or eXtreme Programming .. that define “how it is that you go about it”
and there is NO open source methodology for HOW YOU DEFINE SOFTWARE ?
and then you think that “MAN .. this is going to get very boring” .. but you must watch the 30 seconds and then you will get why it is not .. especially that he presents a totally new methodology other than what we are used to
i have dug for the complete talk .. and found it here
the talk is extremely fun .. and very insightful
you can download most of the presentations from here
since you might be digging the internet for a notepad replacement or an explorer extension that makes searching files easier..
i thought to save u some bandwidth .. and tell you about some tools i like
most of these are Free Software. برامج حرة
Exploring, Navigation and GUI
no need to Dig through Start>All Programs or fill the desktop with millions if files .. or look for Calc each time you need to add 55 + 78 …find your programs and run them in no time
use Ctrl+Shift+V .. to paste stuff that you copied and overwritten .. like office Clipboard but cooler
if you like HackIt .. you will love PM, send any window to System Tray, makes it transparent or On Top
- Rocket Dock
Coolest app from the Mac World
Copy, Pause, Cancel and Resume in Windows Explorer and On Lan, hundreds of files.
adds a Toolbar in your Explorer, with some handy stuff (open ComandLine here, copy all pathes, copy names, rename all) .. extremely useful.
if you are a Linux fan .. then u know grep .. and u also know that windows search is useless .. grepWin Lets you search inside files with a RegEx or for normal Text
No matter what you do .. u can never rely on that.. so i will mention NONE
Network and Chat
u can see a cant be bias here
P2P file sharing program .. very configurable
Image via Wikipedia
- Orbit / Free Download Manager
may be slower than LogMeIn.. lets you share the desktop with your friend.. very helpfull for remote assistance
aside the fact that current GTK+ release on windows is extremely buggy, Pidgin is All In One Chat Client, very light, very cool .. simply you can have 2 Gtalk accounts + 1 yahoo + 3 MSN in one window, one program
the smallest of all, compared to its feature richness.
- FireFTP .. obvious
Sync your bookmarks across machines and even access them online
Proxy management, go TOR or any other Proxy in seconds
Drag and Drop any link in a new background tab .. instead of Ctrl+Click every time
- Shareaholic Found something awesome and cant wait to pass it on ? share over GReader, digg or anyother..
bookmarks in a smart way
- Sxipper Manages your passwords and fills-web forms .. extremely SMART
want to make your tabs at the bottom of the page , control ordering , force 1 instance of FF ?
- Zemanta a blogger ? .. u MUST try this
- Foxit Reader
compared to Adobe reader ? .. this one should be rated (999/5)
aka Churchill, a compact Dictionary, with shourtcut keys , just select, press ALT+T and u see the meaning. the last version is wierd, but its free any way
take alook for yourself, it can replace Notpad interly by the way
- Winamp ..
A Free, Cross-Platform Digital Audio Editor under GPL
Convert from any thing to any thing.. another verygood OSS
OpenSource Image Burner .. a free/Light Nero alternative and works great!
- Daemon Tools
OpenSource, Simulates a CD from an image, much compact than PowerISO and VirtualCD
Tired of the “your evaluation Copy expired” every time you open a zip file in WinRAR ?, 7-zip is the OpenSource alternative
Now to the best part
- pInvoke VS addon
get the pinvok signature of any function from PInvoke.Net
Not Free, but simply addictive
gives you every detail about any process in your system
Know what DLL’s your program loads.. know what symbols are exported by your DLL, TakeALook
Source Control Management .. if you are still makeing copies of your code and sending them through mail in zip files to your friends .. then you should start using SVN
convert Makefiles into VS Solutions
merge two code files or folders, see what changed , bla bla .. the best windows diff tool
i think that’s all.. you want to share a tool you like ? .. place it in the comments